Josefia is a Sydney artist whose work has been displayed in group exhibitions in Australia, Korea, Mexico, Taiwan and China. She has been inspired by the natural surroundings in Sydney and rural landscapes found on her trips.
In the early 1990s, her first workshop at the Mitchell School of Creative Arts was instrumental in her decision to pursue a new career in art. After enrolling at the Julian Ashton Art School in 1996, she was awarded the Thea Proctor Scholarship and completed a Diploma of Fine Art in 1999. Josefia is a member of the Australian Watercolour Institute since 2004.
Josefia is an experienced watercolour tutor. She taught watercolour classes/workshops at the Julian Ashton Art School for about 20 years and at the Gallery Lane Cove + Creative Studio (formerly known as Centrehouse Community Art Centre) for about 3 years. She was asked to assist the process of supporting the start of an art group – established by the Inner West Council in 2017 – and held 6 sessions with them as a tutor/mentor. This art group is called “Artists of Sorts” at the Jimmy Little Community Centre, Lilyfield. She has conducted many workshops for different art societies.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, she started teaching watercolour classes/workshops on zoom; She holds weekly classes and is open to invitation to hold workshops, so contact us if you are interested in joining a class. Here is some information about Josefia’s classes and workshops.
Initially I was drawn to painting watercolour landscapes. My inspiration comes from my natural surroundings in inner-city Sydney, usually harbour views, and rural landscapes found on my trips. An important aspect of my watercolour landscapes is trying to capture and impart a sense of serenity.
My passion includes portraiture and figurative work in oils.
– Josefia Lemon, 2019
- 2008 – Grand Festival of Asian Watercolor Painting, Busan Biennale, Korea
- 2009 – Wattle, Rose & Thistle: The finest Watercolourists of Australia, England and Scotland, participated by members of the Australian Watercolour Institute (AWI), Royal Watercolour Society, London (RWS) and Royal Scottish Society of Painters in Watercolour (RSW)
- 2010 – Grand Festival of Asian Watercolor Painting, Busan Biennale, Korea
- 2010/2011 – The IX Watercolor International Biennial, Mexico
- 2012 – Tradition and Transformation: Taiwan-Australia Watercolour Exhibition, Taichung City, Taiwan; subsequently at Mosman Art Gallery Sydney
- 2012/2013 – The X Watercolor International Biennial, Mexico
- 2014 – Across the Water: China-Australia Modern Master of Watercolour, Shanghai; subsequently in Sydney
- 2015 – The 10th Exhibition Busan Fine Arts Association Watercolor Department – The Asia of Aquacolors
- 2019 – Flowing Water 2019 Taoyuan International Watercolor Biennial, Taiwan
- 2020 – Taiwan-Australia International Watercolour Exhibition: Tradition and Transformation 2, Taiwan, the subsequent exhibition in Sydney has been postponed due to lockdown.
- 2020/2021 – The Biennial International Prize “Fabriano Watercolour 2020” orginanized by City of Fabriano -UNESCO Creative City, Italy. This Exhibition was online on 16 July – 19 September, 2021 due to the international pandemic from Covid19